Friday 17 July 2015

Interview With Tabitha Darling

Today I have an interview with author Tabitha Darling who stops by to chat about her new book, Chiron's Honorand writing. Enjoy.


Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.

I am originally from Alaska. Having spent nearly 20 years up there, I learned to hunt for food, trap and fish etc. I have seen fifty below zero temperatures, five foot snow, moose, bear and the northern lights. After finding Mr. Right I am now a happy Texan author, editor and artist. I own three horses, four chickens, and three geese. I am also wife to a robot building husband and mom to a one year old.


Can you tell us about your newest release, Chiron's Honor?

Chiron's Honor brings a genetically engineered centaur species back to Earth after a separation of nearly 3,000 years. The centaur cannot reproduce, their longevity is severely shortened and they are looking for answers to have a chance at living again. This book is meant to bring realism to classical mythology.


Your new book is a fantasy. What interests you about the genre as a writer? Are you a fan of the genre, and if so why?

I am a picky reader as I have read all the great classics such as Tolkien, Asimov, and James Herriot etc. I can't stand formulaic books, shallow plots, or the shallow use of writing and language. What I like about the fantasy genre is just pushing the limits of what we assume, tweaking the standards, messing with the status quo. Experimenting, and testing. I like a good unicorn book, or a novel with rich character in dragons, and in the human characters. No more wizards, spells, apprenticeships, or doomsday, but give me a really well thought out book and sharp author. I am definitely a fan of fiction and fantasy! In this crazy world we need it!


You’ve also included aspects of mythology in your book. As a writer what do you find most intriguing about myths?

Ironically I got interested in mythology from Stargate SG1, an old sci-fi T.V. series. It is fascinating to learn about the old languages used, how the common person lived, the ruling structure of a society, how they viewed nature and animals, how religions and concept of magic were perceived. I prefer to read the old stories, which were once considered fact and just ask in my writing what if they had been true and we never found out? That is the underlying question in this current series I'm working on.


Can you tell us about your writing process? Where do your ideas originate

My ideas pop into my head usually without forethought. Literally while I'm typing! Chiron's Honor actually wrote itself, there was no plan whatsoever except the vague idea of what I wanted to get across. Even the structure formed itself partway through, I liked it and kept it. The structure itself I have never used before. I think the book surprised me!


What is your greatest challenge as a writer?

Editing, I hate editing! Second, is advertising. Lastly, researching old dead civilizations!


Where do you get your inspirations or ideas?

Pretty much in one of two ways. I get lucky have great ideas that pp into my head for which I quickly jot down notes. And lastly, literally n the fly while I'm typing. Beyond that, just the desire to mess with assumptions and see where they take me.


Do you have a favourite author?

Not just one favorite author but many. If I was forced at threat to my life, I'd have to say Tolkien.


What’s the next project? Any new books in the works?

This has got to be a trick question! I have two books in one series to work on, two books each in their own series to finish, and two more each in THEIR own series to write. I am working on five separate series at the same time, and just hop from one book to the next as I feel the need or finish a book to move on.


You can find out more on the author and her books at her website and blog.


No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews