Tuesday 20 June 2017

Interview with Author Bailey Ordiway

Today I have an excellent interview with multi-genre author Bailey Ordiway, who chats about his writing and his books. Enjoy.


Interview with Bailey Ordiway




Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.

I was born in Michigan and spent a great deal of my life there. I grew up on farms and in small towns, going to small schools. After I dropped out of high school I got my GED and went to college. My major changed a dozen times throughout, but, it was a great experience. After that I joined the Army, that was cut short very quickly though. I'm now married and live in South Dakota where I own my own business and write daily.


Could you tell us a bit about your latest book?
American Holdovers is my third published novel and chronicles not only my time, but, also my many friends and fellow holdovers during our time as a holdover at Ft. Jackson during a hurricane and the consequences and events that transpired because of this a couple years back.


You write in several genres. Do you have a favourite? And if so, why?

I actually don't, no. I try to write in multiple genres to not get stuck in a niche and expand my writing horizons. I'd also like to have something for everyone.


Why did you write this book? What was your inspiration?

Well I thought that it was a story that needed to be told. Not very many people know that holdovers are even a thing, and it's wildly undocumented. On top of that I believed it was a good story, a series of unfortunate events occurred one after another that just makes for a good read.


What did you enjoy most about writing your book?

It was nice to relieve some of the better experiences I had with my friends and keep the experience alive for us all.


When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've wanted to be a writer since I was very young. I would always look at my mothers bookshelf as a child and just think "one day I will have my name up there".


Can you tell us about your writing process? Where do your ideas originate? Do you have a certain writing routine?

I find it difficult to focus. So, because of that everything I write is meticulously outlined. Before I ever even open a word document I fill up multiple binders on my book. Everything from minor characters to a step by step progression of each chapter. When I do eventually write however I sit at the same desk, listen to the same music, drink the same coffee, and light the same candle.


Do you have a favourite author, or writing inspiration?

John Green is by far my favorite author. Being a fan of his is rather torturous though since he releases a book about every five years at this point.


Are you working on another book?

I will be, soon. I have been working on this one for nearly two years now though and would like to focus a bit on my blog. I enjoy writing movie reviews and it has gone to the back burner a bit while writing this book.



You can find Bailey Ordiway's latest book, American Holdovers, on Amazon.

And you can check out the rest of his books at his Amazon page.


For more on the author check out these sites.




2 comments:

Stephanie Barr said...

Writers really are an eclectic lot. It's fascinating, really.

A. F. Stewart said...

It is that. Thanks for stopping by.

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews