Wednesday 23 March 2016

Drabble Wednesday: World Travel

Today on Drabble Wednesday we travel, journey to cities past, to days dark…






Briefly, in Paris

Such sadness in her eyes, this girl standing silent among the raucous crowds spilling onto the Paris streets. The rest, well, they are here to watch and cheer the spectacle about to unfold. But she is different. Not once, in all my times presiding over these events, have I seen sorrow. At least not in an ordinary citizen.
It does her credit, but I wonder why she grieves. I hope those feelings will not lead her into my path.
I surreptitiously watch her as I do my duty.
She turns her head, averts her eyes, as the guillotine falls.

~*~





The Venice I Adore

Ah, my beauteous city, the splendour that is Venice!
How I’ve missed you, drifting your canals while the moonlight plays amongst your shadows.
Such magnificence! You are where my heart remains, the only lady I give my fealty.
For you and I share much, do we not?
Your stone and edifice stay silent, but would they reveal your mysteries, if they could? Would you whisper my secrets? Would you confess my dark deeds? Would you betray me, as I have betrayed?
Or would you stay as voiceless as your waters? The waters that swallowed the bones of those I killed.

~*~





Fair Phoenicia

From Tyre we sailed, not three days past, on a trading ship well favoured by the gods.
I looked to sell my goods in Crete, cloth of the regal purple, and more. It was to be the making of me, the first of fortunes to fill my coffers.
Until fortune turned on a storm of ferocity.
Our ship was smashed upon the rocks, casting all to tempestuous waters.
Instead of riches, I bestowed my family mourning tears. Instead of prosperity, the sea claimed the entire. I went not to adventure, but into Death’s embrace.
Farewell, my Tyre. Farewell, my Phoenicia.



© A. F. Stewart 2016 All Rights Reserved





2 comments:

Sheila Deeth said...

Beautiful cities. Great drabbles.

A. F. Stewart said...

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the stories.

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews