Wednesday 14 September 2016

Drabble Wednesday: Underneath the Surface

Today on Drabble Wednesday, come explore the darkness beneath the skin...





Warrior

They fear me.
My enemies. The quake at the fearsome sight of me and my blood-covered axe. They run from me on the battlefield. They tremble at the sound of my name, Gunnar the Bloody. I have slaughtered in the name of my tribe, I have slain thousands and stood on their corpses.
They fear me.
As do my fellow tribesmen. Because they know. They know I love killing. That I cannot quench my yearning for spilled blood.
They know one day I will turn on them.
That one day they will die at my hand.
They should fear me.

~*~



Secret Spot

“I have a secret place I go, a quiet spot on the ocean, past the island reef. Would you like to see it?”
I smile when he nods an enthusiastic yes. He caresses my arm, but I slink away, beckoning him to follow. We climb onto the boat and sail out into the beauty of serene waters and blue sky.
“Not much to see,” he scoffs.
I reply, “Close your eyes.”
He complies and I give a whistle.
A tentacle darts out and snatches him off the boat, dragging him under the sea.
I smile. I love feeding my pet.

~*~




Empire

I stare out the bedchamber window at my city, and beyond it my empire. One I was not born into, but inherited by marriage.
I remember my wedding day well. A lavish affair to Emperor Alphonse IV, Supreme Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms. Not a happy union. Both he and his lackeys think me weak, compliant. An Empress without teeth.
Fools.
I’ve been scheming for years, playing the simpering wife, while building allies. Now I will play my final piece for victory. My husband will be dead by nightfall and I will be the sole ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.





 © A. F. Stewart 2016 All Rights Reserved 

No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews