Friday 2 December 2016

Interview With Author Theresa Pocock

Today I have a great treat, an interview with historical fantasy author Theresa Pocock, who stops by to chat about her newly released book (paperback available from bookbaby), Elizabeth Tudor. Enjoy!


Interview with Theresa Pocock



Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.


I’m just a girl who is trying to make her way in this world. No… well I am a mom, a wife, a Christian, and an author. I feel like everything I do fits into those four fields.

Could you tell us a bit about your latest book?
Well, as a history major, when you learn about the sixteenth century you can’t help but learn of Henry VIII and all his wives and his shenanigans. I of course was fascinated with the subject but something my teacher said in passing one day sparked the idea for this book; what if Henry’s claims that Anne Boleyn entranced him really were true? The idea stuck and when I began writing it was just a natural topic for me to explore.
In ELIZABETH TUDOR: Ancestry of Sorcery, Anne and Elizabeth come from a long line of sorceresses, but Anne makes certain that her daughter, the potential queen of England, will be the most powerful one yet.
I am very excited about this story. I feel that it is a strong retelling made more interesting with the sparkle of magic and the tragedy of star crossed love.


How long have you been writing, and how many books have you published to date?

Ten years. I’ve completed 6 books. ELIZABETH is my first publication.


Of all the books you've written, do you have a favorite?

To be honest which ever book I am reading, writing, editing, is the best book ever. Because naturally all the things I wish authors would do in the books I read for pleasure I do in my book, which automatically makes it the best in my mind, right?


Why did you decide to write in the Fantasy genre?

Well I always felt it was the only genre worth reading, that is until I turned 30. Now I find merit in many other genres. My WIP is actually my first non-fantasy story about a celebrity dating service and I am loving it. You can read my whole description at www.theresapocock.com.


Who is your intended readership?

Probably women and teens, all of my stories have a strong romantic element to them. That’s just me. I feel like I write the angst of teen love quite well and the tenderness of mature love also. So I would say anyone who likes romance. (not sex)


Why did you write this book? What was your inspiration?

As I said above ELIZABETH TUDOR was inspired by the idea that Anne Boleyn really was a sorceress. That she bewitched Henry and that is why he did all he did. My inspiration was a contrast between two things actually. First, I read an amazing book called Eragon when I was 25. I was so inspired by how young the author was. I read that the author couldn’t get a publishing deal and that he had to do some pretty amazing things to get his stuff out there. Then I read a truly ridiculous story which got published no problem and I kind of took that as a challenge, I guess. I also thought if a teenager can write so can I! That was when it became real. That’s when I began plotting.

What did you enjoy most about writing your book?

I love that I get to tell these cool stories. I love researching. Like with ELIZABETH TUDOR, I wanted it to be as historically accurate as possible. I read everything from novels, to encyclopedias, to her journals, to her speeches, to her bank statements, just to assure that I would have things correct. I can get lost in the researching.


What did you find most challenging about writing your book?

It took me and entire year of consistent writing during naps times and early mornings and evenings to get ELIZABETH done. I don’t have a great memory and that is exacerbated by the fact that I’m dyslexic so when I am dealing with people and places and loads of facts I’m connecting, I must review every day. If I leave it for a week or something its literally like starting from scratch.   


What advice would you give beginning writers?

I would tell them to write 500,000 words before you commit yourself. I would also say don’t force it. If you have a story to tell it will come out. That doesn’t mean it’s easy that just means you won’t be able to leave it alone. If you can’t leave it alone you’re an author and you need to do your prerequisites. Which are: Read a ton. I feel like this is imprinting. You imprint good writing in your mind, all the while you practice. Research the elements of writing. How to show not tell, how to change tense, how to write tension, how to plot things out. Figure out if you’re a pants-er or a plot-er. Have people read your stuff and get some opinions.  If you do these things and you have a story to tell the ability to get it down on paper will come. So never ever lose hope. Then I say write an amazing query letter and send it to me at www.bigworldnetwork.com as of January 1, 2017 I am the new submissions manager there.


Are you working on another book?

I have something I am so excited about. It is a fantasy set in the Garden of Eden.  I call it GUARDIANS OF THE GARDEN. Briefly, it’s about a family that protects the garden of Eden from those wanting to gain immortality by eating of the tree of life. As time marches on they gain fantastic powers to protect the garden from advancing technology. My story starts in the chaos of a PREapocalypse world and a betrayal from inside the garden. I have a really amazing agent looking at it right now and I have high hopes.
I’m also putting some of my work on Wattpad you can check it out for just go to: www.theresapocock.com and see what strikes your fancy.








Author Bio:


Theresa Pocock is not a history buff but she is a history lover which lead her to study the subject at BYU-Idaho. However it was here obsession with the literature that sparked the idea to write. Since, that desire has become an annoyingly relentless compulsion gnawing at her attention and focus, As her list of story ideas grows longer and her free time gets shorter it has taken tireless dedication to continue writing. Utilizing earily mornings, nap-times, sport practices and many many late nights has born fruit though in the form of six wonderfully crafted novels which she hopes to share with the world. After sixteen moves, three kids, four dogs, and a few fish, Theresa and her family currently reside in Washington state. For now.





No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews