Friday 19 February 2016

#‎B2BCYCON Interview With Author Adan Ramie


Yes, I have another Brain to Books Cyber Convention author feature (and haven't they been wonderful so far). Remember, this great event for authors and readers alike is coming to Goodreads this April, on the 8th, 9th and 10th. 

Be sure to check out all the details and pertinent links for the event here:


Now on with the main event, our Brain to Books author feature.

Today I have a terrific interview with suspense and horror author Adan Ramie. 


Interview With Adan Ramie





Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.

Anyone who knows me well can tell you this simple truth about me: I have a big mouth. I got started reading and writing early in life, and both have served as escapes – and funnels for my need to constantly communicate - for as long as I can remember.



You write in several genres. Do you have a favourite? And if so, why?

The first stories that caught my attention were horror stories, and I still write a lot of those now, but I’ve also branched out into a dozen other genres, including more speculative fiction types, dark comedy, and even romance. People have asked if I will ever narrow my focus, and I always say the same thing: I write what churns inside my head. If that ever narrows, my writing will follow suit. (But I doubt it.)


What do you enjoy most about writing in the horror genre?

Horror gives me a place to exorcise all my demons. If there is anything I’m worried about or afraid of, you can guarantee it will end up in a creepy tale in one way or another. Likewise, if I’m angry with someone or something, they’re likely to appear as an unlikable character who ends up maimed – or worse.


Can you tell us about your writing process? Where do your ideas originate? Do you have a certain writing routine?

My writing process changes all the time. I wish I could say I had one perfect, tried-and-true method for getting a story out every time I put my fingers on the keys, but I’ve had no such luck. Sometimes I start from a prompt, as in the case of a lot of the short fiction I post on my website, and I kind of work my way through it with blinders on. Other times, as in the case of the book I’ll be releasing in March, I expand an idea into an outline that I use as the skeleton of the story. 
I do have a writing routine, though, that I use 4 to 5 days a week. I start with my journal, then get straight to work on whatever my current project is from there. I won’t do anything else until I’ve worked on that for at least an hour. It helps keep the long projects from getting too stagnant, and also guarantees new words every week.


What do you like to do when you're not writing? Any hobbies?

I love reading, and I am usually reading at least one (and up to three) books at any given time. When I’m not doing that, I’m usually binge-watching true crime, classic movies, and television shows that have been off the air for a while. I also love food, so I spend a lot of time searching out new recipes and springing them on my unsuspecting family.


Do you have a favourite author, or writing inspiration?

The three authors who inspired me the most as a young child and teen were R.L. Stine, Stephen King, and Jane Austen. I know, that’s a kind of a weird combination, but I guess I was a pretty unusual kid. I read so fast, and so much, that I was finished with my school library long before I got out of fourth grade; to supplement my reading, I spent some time in the adult section reading everything I could get my hands on. 
My mother’s romance novels left a bad taste in my mouth, so the true romance of Jane Austen was a welcome relief. And, once I was done with everything R.L. Stine had released (Goosebumps was my favorite series), it was an easy skip ahead to Stephen King. IT scarred me for life – and turned me into a bona fide horror fanatic.


Could you tell us a bit about your latest book?

My first novel, Maladaptation, is the first in my Deviant Behaviors series. It’s a thriller that’s been called “gritty” and “dark” by reviewers, and it focuses on the lives of three women as they are drawn together by the twisted forces around and inside them. They have all three felt the sting of abuse in ways that forged the very unique paths of their lives, but created a bond that will lead them all down the same road pursued by – or in pursuit of – a sadistic killer.


Why did you write this book? What was your inspiration?

It’s funny, but it’s hard to say what really inspired Maladaptation. It started with a poster of the folk-pop band Tegan and Sara that got me thinking about abuse, and the different ways that it can affect a person and change their life for better or for worse. From there, it progressed into a storyline that I ultimately had to turn on its head. That first draft (and its six follow-up drafts) only gave about 25% to the story that was published; the remaining 75% was based on feedback from beta readers who saw through the mess and helped me bring out the story that really needed to be told.


What’s your next project? Any upcoming book secrets you care to reveal?

Right now, I’m finishing up the sequel to Maladaptation, Cluster B. It follows two characters from Maladaptation after the final showdown as they try to rebuild their lives and move on from the traumas they endured. One fun thing that I’m doing as I gear up for the release of Cluster B is offering a short story that forms the link between Maladaptation and Cluster B. It’s one of the prizes I’ll be giving away to ten of my newsletter subscribers before Cluster B is released in March.



Adan Ramie is the genre-stomping author of hundreds of published stories and even more that have yet to be released. She lives with her amazing, supportive, crazy family in a small town in Texas that is not unlike Andy Griffith's Mayberry. You can find her online at AdanRamie.com, where she posts fiction, book reviews, and anything else that strikes her fancy.

Her book, Maladaptation, can be found on Amazon



I'd like to thank Adan Ramie for stopping by today, and be sure to check out her virtual booth at the convention this April.





No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews