Saturday 20 February 2016

#‎B2BCYCON Interview With Author Devorah Fox



Today I have another Brain to Books Cyber Convention author feature. Remember, this great event for authors and readers alike is coming to Goodreads this April, on the 8th, 9th and 10th.

Be sure to check out all the details and pertinent links for the event here:



Now on with the main event, our Brain to Books author feature.

Today I have a great interview with fantasy author Devorah Fox.



Interview with Devorah Fox



Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.

I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing. I must write in my sleep. That would explain how I can stumble upon nine chapters of a novel-in-progress that I don’t remember writing. Novels, manuals, smartphone apps, blog posts, newspaper and magazine columns—whatever I’m writing, I strive to entertain, to inform, and to inspire. Born in Brooklyn, New York, I now live on the Texas Gulf Coast. On the rare occasions that I’m not writing, I herd cats (I have two rescued tabbies) and try to keep my dragon, Inky, from setting things on fire.


Could you tell us a bit about your latest book?

“The Redoubt” is Book Four in The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam epic fantasy series. Having bested beast, man, and even his own failings, King Bewilliam has regained his throne, reunited with his sons, and restored his embattled kingdom, yet something is lacking. When a crippling famine threatens the Chalklands’ very survival, his vassals propose a risky plan to seek aid from a distant ruler. King Bewilliam strikes off on a perilous journey to the island empire of Sea Gate accompanied by a cadre of loyal knights and nobles who are unaware that the plan will reunite the king with a spurned lover.


Why did you write this book? What was your inspiration?

“The Redoubt” is Book Four in The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam epic fantasy series. By the time I finished Book Three, “The King’s Redress,” several of the secondary characters were clamoring for their own book. The series is told from the single character viewpoint of King Bewilliam so it was difficult for the other characters’ voices to be heard. Yet I didn’t want to change viewpoints in the middle of the series. I came up with a device in “The Redoubt” that gives the supporting characters a chance to speak.


What did you find most challenging about writing your book?

The research. It’s fascinating, but it’s time consuming. When I began The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam epic fantasy series I intended to do no research at all. I was just going to make things up. It’s a fantasy, right? But I got curious about what life actually was like in the Middle Ages. Before I knew it, I couldn’t write a sentence without first researching it. Did they eat that? Did they wear that? Did they say that ...?


How long have you been writing, and how many books have you published to date?

I’ve been writing my entire professional life, which translates to decades. My first published book was a 500-page textbook on operating 18-wheelers; it’s still in print. I began writing novels in the mid-1990s. I now have 12 published titles to my name—6 non-fiction, 6 fiction—and 7 smartphone apps.


Of all the books you've written, do you have a favourite?

I have a lot of affection for “Naked Came the Sharks,” a contemporary Texas Coastal Bend thriller that I co-authored with three friends. We had so much fun writing it. Two of the authors have since passed away so I cherish the experience of working with them on a creative project all the more.


What is the hardest part of writing fantasy fiction?

My readers might be surprised that I find it a challenge to be as imaginative as the genre allows. I really am quite literal and linear. I’ve taken up watching superhero movies and action films which inspire me to stretch, go larger-than life, go over the top.


You write in several genres. Do you have a favourite? And if so, why?

Mystery/Thriller is my favorite because that’s what I enjoy reading and have since I was a child. My mother was a fan of detective stories and I would read the books that she brought home from the library.


What is your greatest challenge as a writer?

I never seem to have enough time to write. Running a business, managing a home, and volunteering often leave me drained. It’s become my practice to participate in writing marathons like November’s National Novel Writing Month. To meet the challenge of writing 50,000 words in 30 days, I make writing the Number One priority for the day. Then, with about 60% of a first draft written, completing the novel in the ensuing months is doable.


What do you like to do when you're not writing? Any hobbies?

I do like doing crafts. I’ve crocheted, I’ve etched and painted glass, I’ve worked mosaics. Lately I’ve participated in our local arts center’s “Whine, Wine, and Design.” Fueled by snacks and vino, for three hours on a Sunday night we work to complete an acrylic painting under the direction of one of the Center’s artists. Considering we’re all painting the same image and using the same colors, I’m always amazed at how unique the finished works are.


What’s your next project? Any upcoming book secrets you care to reveal?

I hope to release two books in 2016, both contemporary detective stories. “The Zen Detective” was my National Novel Writing Month 2015 project and I began “Deadline” during National Novel Writing Month 2014. The seeds for both were planted in the mid-1990s but I still like the stories and want to see them finished.




"What if?" Those two words all too easily send Devorah Fox spinning into flights of fancy. Best-selling author of The Lost King, The King’s Ransom, The King’s Redress and The Redoubt in The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam epic fantasy series she also co-authored the contemporary thriller, Naked Came the Sharks, with Jed Donellie and the Masters of Time: a SciFi/Fantasy Time Travel Anthology. Born in Brooklyn, New York, she now lives in The Barefoot Palace in Port Aransas on the Texas Gulf Coast with rescued tabby cats ... and a dragon named Inky. Visit the “Dee-Scoveries” blog at http://devorahfox.com.

You can also find Devorah at these sites:

Twitter: @devorah_fox   http://twitter.com/devorah_fox


I'd like to thank Devorah Fox for stopping by today, and be sure to check out her virtual booth at the convention this April.




No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews