Friday 21 April 2017

Interview With Author Mary Woldering

Today I have an interesting treat, a re-post of an author interview from Our Write Side with writer Mary Woldering. She is the author of the intriguing historical fantasy series, Children of Stone. Enjoy!


Interview With Author Mary Woldering



(Please note: Two of the questions, #9 and #19, have been slightly altered to adjust for the passage of time. None of the answers have been changed.)




1. How long have you been writing?  
About the time I could write a sentence on paper. Poetry was first. Novels began at about age 14



2. What kind(s) of writing do you do?  
Some poetry, but mostly novels. The genre is Historical Fantasy.




3. Why did you choose that particular field or genre?
It chose me. I have always looked at period in history and thought about “What if?” or found the offbeat stories and myths more interesting than the standard tales.


4. What inspires you?  
My dreams and meditations inspire me. Life and people’s journey through life has always fascinated me.  I am a chronicler of dreams.

5. Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing, etc. come from?  
I can’t think of a specific place.  I always loved adventure stories and theater. When I was older I discovered my father was a writer of mostly scientific articles. He self-published a few copies of a fiction series.


6. How do you find or make time to write?  
I try to write every day.  I can do more of it now that I am retired.



7. Do you write more by logic or intuition, or some combination of the two? Summarize your writing process.
I write by intuition exclusively.  There was a standing joke about me being all right brain and the antithesis of logic. I agree with that assessment.



8. How did you get to be where you are in your life today?  
I lived and experienced life.


9. What are some of your latest projects?  
Book 3 of my Children of Stone Series Opener of the Sky and a short story spin-off in the Steampunk genre that features two characters from the novels.


10.  What process did you go through to get your work published?  
Many years ago I tried traditional publishing but never sold a manuscript. In 2012 I discovered Indie Publishing and the following year published my first of the Children of Stone Series.


11. What is the hardest part of writing for you?  
The mechanics and the revision are hard...Marketing is worse.



12. What do you enjoy most about writing? Share your favorite work.  
Telling a good story with characters people can actually care about. My ONLY work so far is the Children of Stone Series...so yes that one.



13. What is the biggest thing people THINK they know about your subject/genre, that isn't true?  
I have no idea what they think about the genre. As my stories deal with unconventional concepts of mythology and ancient history/culture/religion, some might find it hard to understand or might disagree with the worlds I build.


14. What is the most important thing that people DON'T know about your subject/genre, that they should?  
That it can include the paranormal, sci-fi, romance, and epic… It takes real history and actual historical figures and re-casts them in fantasy. So far, no actual person has risen from the grave to bother me about my depiction of them...yet.



15. For those interested in exploring the subject/theme of your work, where should they start?  
Study history, art and culture. Look at what exists from the literature of the day.



16. What are some ways in which you promote your writing? Do you find that these add or detract from your writing time?  
Marketing ALWAYS cuts into my writing time. I wish I had the money to pay other people to do it. I try anything that isn’t illegal, immoral or fattening.


17. Who are some of your favorite authors?
Robert E. Howard, Evangeline Walton,  Joseph Campbell, Herman Melville. I love adventure, personal journey, mythology and legends.


18. What makes your writing stand out from the crowd?
I have been told my writing is “very deep” and mystical; that it makes you think. I’ve been told that my characters are very, very real and that people care what happens to them.


19. What have you read recently?  
The Lost Princess of Mona - Guy Donovan




20. What do you think is the future of reading/writing?
As long as there are stories to be told...  



You can check out the Children of Stone series on Amazon.

And if you'd like to lend social media support to the Children of Stone Thunderclap, check it out here: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/55697-voices-in-crystal-bk-1


Author Bio:


Mary R. Woldering is an author, artisan and art historian, devoted wife to Dr. Jackie Woldering, mother of two and grandmother of three. She lives in Euclid, OH



No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews