Friday 26 August 2016

Interview With Author Simon Williams

Today I bring you another interview, this time with dark fantasy author, Simon Williams. Enjoy!


Interview With Simon Williams



Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.

I am an author of what most people like to label as dark fantasy although my work also incorporates elements of horror and science fiction. I'm based in the UK.


Could you tell us a bit about your latest book?

Salvation's Door is the fifth and final book in the Aona series, and brings down the curtain on a saga which I've been writing most of my adult life (the first book took many years due to considerable re-writing). Salvation's Door is epic in plot but is a chronicle of characters as much as events, focusing on the trials and struggles of a varied cast against the background of an end to days.


How long have you been writing, and how many books have you published to date?

I've been a writer since I was old enough to write (certainly that's when I started making up and writing down stories). Six books in total have been published so far and I have several further projects ongoing.


Who is your intended readership?

I don't focus on particular people to write for when I write- but my readers tend to appreciate gritty, character-driven fantasy and sci-fi without the cliches and tropes that infect the genres in which I write. No one can avoid such things entirely, but I do my best.


What is your greatest challenge as a writer?

This may sound like an odd answer but often it feels as if the inevitable loneliness of this kind of profession (not that I can really call it a profession) is a tough challenge. It also doesn't get easier with age- in fact it gets worse as the years take their toll and you realise you may in the not too distant future have to contend with diminishing physical and mental faculties.


When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

During my childhood to an extent, but more seriously as an adult- I never had much talent for anything else and it was really all I wanted to do. Thinking about it that way, it was inevitable.


Can you tell us about your writing process? Where do your ideas originate? Do you have a certain writing routine?

I have tried to have a routine, but it tends to be quite haphazard. I scribble down ideas, scenarios and conversations, often write the end of a book before completing the bulk of it, and tend to end up looking at it as a vast jigsaw whose pieces I have to slot together (or sometimes discard or replace). I certainly never write in a linear way or meticulously outline a plot before writing the story or building the characters. Often I build the characters and then thread the plot around them. It often feels like chaos but it eventually falls in to place (or if it doesn't, then the project is shelved).


Do you have a favourite author, or writing inspiration?

I have a number of favourite authors rather than just one- where to start?
Alan Garner, Clive Barker, Cecilia Dart-Thornton, George R R Martin, Neil Gaiman, Ian Irvine... 


What’s your next project? Any upcoming book secrets you care to reveal?

The sequel to my YA sci-fi / fantasy novel Summer’s Dark Waters, currently titled The Light From Far Below, will probably be next. This is a challenge of a quite different sort for me- it’s become a pre-apocalyptic tale of urban paranoia which makes uneasy reading even for me, so it needs to be shaped appropriately for its intended readership- those poor folks who will have to contend with what remains of this world in the decades ahead.
I'm also writing a standalone novel which may (or may not) be futuristic / post-industrial in tone, and which probably won't be strictly fantasy or indeed any other genre as such. I'm enjoying this as I haven't written a standalone book in a while.



You can find our more about Simon Williams and his books at these sites:

Twitter: @SWilliamsAuthor



You can find the first book in the Aona series on Amazon:

Oblivion’s Forge (Book I in the Aona series):




No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews