Wednesday 18 January 2017

Drabble Wednesday: Dark Roads and Wrong Turns

Today, on Drabble Wednesday, I bring you hungry things, temptation indulged, and the horrors under the stairs...



Angels and Bunnies

I think I’m dead. I’m staring at an angel. Sitting on a swing holding a bunny.
“He’s my pet. And you’re not dead. Not yet.”
Huh? She knew what I was thinking?
“Oh, yes, your thoughts are clear. But I’m no angel.”
Oh. I must be dreaming.
“In a way. You’re hallucinating from my venom.”
Venom?
“Yes. Injected when I bit you. You took a wrong turn last evening, walking in the park.”
Bit me? Walk? Wait. I did take a walk.
“Yes. And crossed my path. Too bad for you. I’m hungry, you see. And so is the bunny.”

~*~






Seduction

Why did I listen?
Why did I leave the village with the wizard?
It wasn’t his handsome face, or his beautiful voice, or those honeyed words he whispered in my ear. I knew he spun me lies, that he meant none of the promises spilling from his silver tongue.
I followed him anyway.
I knew he’d lead me where I wanted to go. Take me to the place I needed to be.
I used him.
Now he’s a bleeding sacrifice on my altar, and I’m in the arms of my god.
Death has finally accepted my offering.
Accepted my love.

~*~




The Bottom of the Stairs

Don’t go downstairs.”
Stay away from the lower chamber.”
No one who wanders down there ever comes back.”
The warnings echoed in my head as I stood at the top of the staircase. The steps spiralled down into darkness. It wasn’t hard to believe the stories of unnatural creatures living beneath the castle proper.
If only I hadn’t dropped the letter.
I didn’t want to go, but I needed to retrieve it. I started downstairs, my tread echoing off the wood. I sighed when my foot touched the bottom.
Find the letter. Climb back up.
Then something grabbed my ankle...






© A. F. Stewart 2017 All Rights Reserved


Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews