Saturday 10 October 2020

October Frights Day 1: Introductions and Judgement


Welcome to the first day of the October Frights Blog Hop, the annual spookfest where horror and paranormal author get together and bring you creepy scares. The Hop runs from the 10th-15th and we have seventeen participants this year, so join us for some dark delights.

This year, I'm doing a witch/magic theme in honour of my new release, Past Legends (which I showcase on the 15th) and today I have a flash fiction story and a gift.


First the gift.

From October 10th until October 14th you can download my horror fantasy story collection Visions and Nightmares for free! That's right free.

Check it out.



With the odds stacked against them, can these ten women survive... or will they succumb to the threat of revenge, fate, and death?

Wander into the realm of the old gods with Elenora, where humanity and marriage are a prison.
Step through a looking glass of dark horrors with an Alice you never knew.
Join with Zenna to seek the truth as her death by magic grows closer.
Journey with Olivia as she crosses paths with a monster of the forest and runs for her life.
Watch Isobel summon the faerie to solve her problem of an unwanted husband.
Shiver as Doctor Killbride experiments with corpses to create life from death.
All that and more await within the pages.

In the twilight shadows, secrets are revealed in the whispers of madness and the world shifts… Who will persevere? Who will fall? And who will succumb to their inner evil?

Find out in Visions and Nightmares.

Warning: This book contains disturbing scenes that may be upsetting to some readers.


Download for Free





And now here's the story.




Judgement


The dank air stilled, not a whisper of a breeze. Bitter cold seeped into my bones, and little light filtered through the grey sky to illuminate the way. I wanted to turn back, to run screaming from this path, but that was not a choice I could make. The rune mark on my hand condemned me to this fate.

The elders sentenced me to seek judgement for my crimes.

As I arrived at the temple, I saw her, Aresis, Goddess of Judgement. Standing statuesque, pale skin shimmering, and dressed in shining silver robes with a sword in each hand. Her eyes were closed, her expression stark underneath slicked back alabaster hair. I noticed a mark tattooed on her forehead; a match to mine.

I whimpered, and she opened her eyes. There was no running, no hiding now.

She stared at me, glancing at the mark on my hand. “Tell me your crimes.”

I shivered at the soft tone of her voice, and my throat went dry. I croaked, “The elders of my village accused me of heresy. Of breaking traditional law. Of disobedience to the church.”

“These are useless words. Tell me your crimes.”

I swallowed, shaking in fear. I didn’t want to tell her my sins. But I had no choice. “I refused to follow the church edicts. I refused to shun those who the elders deemed unworthy.”

The Goddess frowned. “Who were deemed unworthy?”

I hung my head, my words barely a whisper. “Those who could not, or refused to pay, the church taxes. Those who would not give the gods their due.” I looked up, my eyes pleading for mercy. But I am a healer. I can not turn away those in need, even if they have wronged the gods. I treated all who came to me for aid and helped those in need.” I sighed and lowered my gaze to the ground. “I never meant to disrespect the gods, but I would do it again.”

I felt her move closer; her icy fingers touched my chin and lifted my head. I stared into her grey, piercing eyes, terror seizing me. Yet, she smiled.

“Good. The gods ask for no monetary tribute, only faith and kindness. You have shown more adherence to the gods than your church and elders. They are the ones that have sinned. And they are the ones who will feel my judgement.”

She stepped back, swinging her swords. They sang through the air, splitting the sky with a razor-edged clang, and the wind howled in a sudden gale that forced me to my knees. Thunder rattled my bones and lightning streaked across the firmament as a bloody rain fell in torrents. My skin and clothes soaked red, and I wept until it ended.

Then I heard the Goddess's voice.

“Return home. Your village will have need for a kind soul and a healer. They will have a need for a leader. The ones they had are all dead now.”

I dared not look at her, only turned and fled, the blood of my accusers stained into my soul.





We also have a group giveaway with 23 great books available.

Ends October 31st.



Check the books out here.

 

The October Frights Giveaway




And be sure to continue on with the rest of our hoppers to see what they’re up to. 


Night to Dawn Magazine & Books LLC

Hawk's Happenings

Heidi Angell

Curiosities

James McDonald

Always Another Chapter

Spreading the Writer's Word

Yours in Storytelling

Carmilla Voiez

Hello Romance

GirlZombieAuthors

Frighten Me

M'habla's!

Angela Yuriko Smith

Brain Matter

NLCARTERWRITES.COM






Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews